Putting children and young people first in the family courts


Information for teenagers

Teen boy with skateboard


Sometimes families experience problems. Your parents or carers might be splitting up, or they might be finding it difficult to look after you properly. Families can usually sort out these problems, but sometimes they can't. Specially trained people such as solicitors, judges, magistrates or social workers may need to get involved in sorting out the situation.

If you want to see our information (to the right) on what happens in court you will need to download Flash Player. Click here to get Flash Player.


Family courts

That's when a family court can help with big decisions, like who you should live with and who you should see. The aim is for everyone to agree, but if that's not possible, a judge or magistrate will look at all the facts and help make the best decision possible.



Sometimes a judge in the family court may ask a Cafcass worker to speak to you. Here we let you know what to expect when there is a case involving your family at the family court. We also tell you about how Cafcass works with families involved in family court proceedings.


  • Children and Young People's video

    Our Children and Young People's video explains who we are and what we do.

  • I want to find out more about Cafcass

    Check out our information page for children and young people to learn more about Cafcass.

  • My parents are separating

    Cafcass has information and resources to help you through this.

  • I'm getting a new family (Adoption)

    Take a look at our information about adoption.

  • People are trying to make sure I'm safe

    Learn about safeguarding and what it means in your life.

  • I want to know what other children experienced with Cafcass

    Read more about other young people's experiences of Cafcass.

  • Give us your feedback

    If you would like to leave feedback about Cafcass and the service it provides, please get in touch.

  • I'd like some more support

    Take a look at some more organisations that can help you.

  • Contact your local Cafcass office

    Want to contact the Cafcass office handling your case?

| Home Page | News | |